The PS4 was the best-selling console in the US in October, Sony has announced, drawing on the NPD Group’s monthly report that was released earlier today. Now, Microsoft had already announced earlier this week that thanks to the price drop to the Xbox One for the holidays, the console’s sales have already tripled. The NPD also took the time to celebrate both consoles which, after a year on sale, are tracking well ahead of the PS3 and Xbox 360.
“October 2014 marks the first 12 months of sales for the Xbox One and PS4; and after the first year, these consoles have had a great start as cumulative sales are currently over 70% higher than the combined first year totals of Xbox 360 and PS3,” the NPD Group’s Liam Callahan said.
“Hardware sales of eighth generation consoles represent close to 80% of dollar sales this month driving overall consoles sales to increase by 186% over October 2013.” NBA 2K15 took top honors in terms of software sales, which is not much of a surprise given the franchise’s popularity.
The NPD said Sunset Overdrive would have charted in ninth place in a software top ten of individual SKUs, is a nice surprise for the Xbox One. The Evil Within also set a record for highest first-month sales of a new horror IP. Check out the top 10 below.
- NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS (3DS)
- The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Destiny (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
- Skylanders Trap Team (Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, Mobile)
- FIFA 15 (PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, Vita, 3DS)
- Madden NFL 15 (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One)
- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4)