Dying Light was the best-selling game in the US in January 2015, according to the NPD group, which also reported a return of the PS4 at the number one spot.
As we suspected when Microsoft’s response was so muted, the PS4 once more outsold its new-gen rival.
“PlayStation 4 was the top selling console in January, it and remains the cumulative leader in the US, according to NPD data,” Sony said in a response statement.
“Since launch in November 2013, 18.5 million PS4 units and 81.8 million software units have been sold through to consumers worldwide.” This is disappointing news for Microsoft, but it’s worth noting that for the first week of January the Xbox One was going for $400, before the price was once more dropped to $350. We’ll have to see if that second price drop will effect the next month. Nintendo hasn’t commented on the NPD’s report as yet.
“The sales of January 2015 launch titles were up over 200 percent versus January 2014, with Dying Light being the major new release of the month. If January 2015 releases performed in line with January 2014 releases, overall software sales would have decreased by 4 percent.” The top 10 is below.
- Dying Light (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto 5 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
- Far Cry 4 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Madden NFL 15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- FIFA 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, Wii, Vita, 3DS)