Thread: Chael Sonnen announces retirement from mixed martial arts

Chael Sonnen announces retirement from mixed martial arts

By Dave Doyle

In the fallout of a failed Nevada Athletic Commission drug test, popular and controversial UFC fighter Chael Sonnen has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts.

The 37-year-old from West Linn, Oregon made his retirement official on Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight.

The announcement came one day after it was reported that Sonnen tested positive for banned substances in a May 23 random drug test for what was a planned July 5 fight against Wanderlei Silva.

"I want to officially announce my retirement from competitive mixed martial arts," Sonnen said.

Sonnen, a former University of Oregon wrestler whose career dates back to 1997, retires with a record of 28-14-1. His final bout was a first-round loss to Rashad Evans at UFC 167.

More...

I think it was a great run by Chael. Of course he would have wanted to retire as a one time champion, he had several chances to become one. Unfortunately, he just couldn't put it all together and pull off a win. Will he now concentrate on politics?

Well, given the circumstances I think that was the smartest move. I guess he could have a better chance in the world of politics, but MMA? Not anymore, the guy was consuming drugs! Shame.

Well, he had a legitimate TRT exemption before the NSAC did away with it completely, and then they didn't allow any grace period between banning TRT entirely and when those who had an exemption. Sonnen got 'caught' taking estrogen blockers which are medically used to fight against the bodies influx of Estrogen after the come down from TRT. He wasn't doing anything wrong... just had poor timing thanks in part to the commission.
    "When they took away headbutts, I had to learn some skills." - Mark Coleman
    "I was doing this when the prize was going to jail, not winning belts." - Tank Abbott

Oh really? So it was just estrogen blockers? Geez, they made it sound like he used some kind of illegal drug to help him perform better.

I've actually heard Chael explain his situation on a couple of interviews. And I must say as on onlooker it's a little complicated: to be a fighter and to have all his medical needs where the only recourse is to take known banned substances. I think ultimately something has got to give, and it has. It's just a bad combination and the only logical next step for Chael is to retire.

This is a pdf that details all of the known illegal/banned substances, some even have the 'why' attached for clarification. (The anti-estrogen section does not, but it's easy to deduce why they would be labelled banned.) In any case, he failed for having Anastrozole and Clomiphene in his system which fall under S4. Anti-Estrogenic Agents. This is because they CAN be used to mask or dilute the use of Testosterone enhancers.

http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/d...07_List_En.pdf

The issue with Sonnen's case (and Vitor/Henderson/etc) is that they were given a TRT exemption and should have been given a grace period to lower their levels (4-6 months) to a healthy final base, but in a safe and steady pacing. Instead they threw everyone on TRT to the wolves and didn't give Sonnen the chance (time) to lower his levels enough and remove traces of Anastrozole and Clomiphene in his system.

It was [damned if you do, damned if you don't] for all of them, and it's a crying shame really.
    "When they took away headbutts, I had to learn some skills." - Mark Coleman
    "I was doing this when the prize was going to jail, not winning belts." - Tank Abbott

Good stuff! Thank you. I think in the case of Henderson, his body adjusted from TRT much faster than expected and was able to fight DC clean enough and was able to pass random drug tests, but lost. He was also off TRT when he fought Rashad Evans, but lost via split decision. For Vitor, he decided to withdraw from the Weidman fight and vowed not to fight until he fully re-adjusts his body. Sonnen could have done what Vitor did or perhaps informed the commission that he is getting treatment that will require a certain period in order for the tests to return negative. If he did that and the commission still went ahead despite Sonnen being forthright, then really its a shame on the commission.