Thread: From Psycho Killer to Painter

Trellum

From Psycho Killer to Painter

Another cool VICE documentary about a a killer who spent more than 27 years in jail and is now a painter. I love their documentaries! They are always so interesting and well made.

I own all of the children's book written by Stanley "Tookie" Williams. I love redemption stories, but only when they also include the appropriate and relative sentences. (I.e. I like it when they are artistic and repentant, but not if they are released early because of it.)
    "When they took away headbutts, I had to learn some skills." - Mark Coleman
    "I was doing this when the prize was going to jail, not winning belts." - Tank Abbott

Trellum
    Yeah, williams, sad to see him go that way! I had heard he had written several children books, but I haven't read them. I will check them! I really admire those who seek for redemption like he did, from gangster to a nobel prize nominee! Sad to see him go... he truly seemed to regret what he did, but I guess the law is the law. Sad.

As for this documentary... I love most vice's documentaries

He didn't regret what he did, we all accept the choices we make eventually... his is a story of monkey see, monkey DON'T. Most of the books are about realizing a bad choice before choosing to make it. All about awareness really, and that's what endeared me to his works.
    "I was doing this when the prize was going to jail, not winning belts." - Tank Abbott

Trellum
    Really? He didn't? One would think that after all those years and being locked in there he would regret what he did, I guess not everyone is like that. Ah well, I want to believe he'd have at least lived a decent life if he had made it out of jail.

Oh I'm sure he regretted getting caught. But he never went against his base nature. He wasn't born a killer, the gang-life and the streets did that. I'm sure he wished he could have made different choices, but he never regretted what he'd done. He repented and way sorry for what he'd done, but he never took any of it back. This steadfastness and personal reflection is why I grew to respect him so much as a man. His stories are one's of awareness, not ones of regret.

Trellum
    Uhm, that's really disturbing! I think most people feel that way... like when you know you did something wrong, you don't start regretting it until you get caught. Just like my friend's gf nagging him 2 days straight because he has a huge mouth and said something no guy should never talk about with a gf! What is done is done... I'm sorry about some things in my past, but I don't think that much about it... I do regret some of those things deeply, but nothing can be done... nothing but learning from that.